Another Saturday and today some of the slow but necessary bits of the construction preparation begin. Staining. We have one large dropcloth and the base 4x4 pieces for the sides shown (two 72" and two 65" lengths) will add up to 137" which when added to the end widths of 4" will add up to a total length of 145" or 12' 1" and the end pieces in turn will be created from an 80" and 31" piece, for a total width of 111" or 9' 3" (calculated for the cumulative sizes of the two 34" windows and the 30" door and associated uprights) and those will undergo the same process.
Below those will be pressure treated 1x6 to partially join them (with minimum overlap of 12") and they will provide the initial join, so I've painted one face of each so the stain will be the sandwich filling. I was thinking about putting a plastic sheet in between as well, but stopped worrying about rot, the assembly will actually be mounted on 1.75" high 8x16 concrete pavers at 3' intervals, and regardless, I cannot do much about weather and insects, because it is Canada...
I will stain it more.
The stain I am using, a cheap mistint from the Dulux store, is Wood Pride 9690A Oil based Acylic Stain and was quite a deal at $5 for almost a gallon, it will provide some protection for a while I hope.
Time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment